Your podiatrist in Ellicott City, MD, can help with a sprained ankle.
Your ankles are important, and when you lose ankle stability due to a sprained ankle, it can dramatically affect your life. You may be unable to stand, support your weight, or walk around. Your podiatrist can help when you have suffered an ankle sprain.
Dr. John Murphy at Maryland Podiatry Center in Ellicott City, MD, offers a wide range of foot care services, including treating ankle sprains.
Ankle sprains are common, and you don’t have to be an athlete to experience one. Even stepping off of a curb, or walking on uneven ground can cause your ankle to twist. The twisting motion stretches the ligaments and tendons, causing uncomfortable inflammation, swelling, and pain.
When you sprain your ankle, you may:
- Hear a loud popping sound
- See signs of bruising and swelling
- Feel pain when you put weight on your foot
- Feel tightness in your ankle and have problems moving your ankle
If you experience an ankle sprain, you can try a few easy home remedies like these:
- Elevating your ankle to take the weight off of it
- Use ice packs on your ankle to reduce swelling
- Wrap your ankle in compression bandages to support it
For moderate to severe ankle sprains that don’t respond to home therapies, you need to seek out professional treatment from your podiatrist. Your podiatrist may recommend:
- Taking prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Physical therapy and stretching to increase flexibility and mobility
- Wearing a cast or walking boot to support your ankle
- Using crutches to take the pressure off of your ankle when you walk
You may suffer an ankle sprain from everyday activities, or from running, jogging, hiking, and other sports. You are also more likely to suffer an ankle sprain as you age, or if you have balance or strength issues.
You don’t have to suffer when you experience an ankle sprain. To find out more about sprained ankle treatment and other foot and ankle services, call Dr. Murphy of Maryland Podiatry Center in Ellicott City, MD, at (410) 992-8504 now!